Sunday, August 21, 2005

Simon Jordan - from Moron to Imbecile

Last season, The Observer carried a weekly article by Alan Curbishley within it's sports section each week. It gave an insight into the workings of a Premiership managers mind; how a manager views other managers, clubs, fans, players, etc; and an overall impression of what a Premiership manager thinks about on a weekly basis. "Mr Got-no-personality" showed he was someone we could all relate to.

This season, starting last week, the weekly article by Curbs has been replaced by something a little more controversial than that which we saw last year.

The Observer has, this year, commissioned a series of articles by a Coca Cola league chairman, whose club were, last season, in the Premiership. This club has been relegated a record four times from the Premiership in fact.

The first article, last week, was highly criticized as, within it, he called the supporters of another club, my club, "morons".

This week, in the second such article (which you can read in full here) the writer changes his comment. He now thinks the supporters of this other club are not "morons" but "imbeciles".

I read, during the week, many discussion threads regarding the first outburst (see Frankie Valley), and the consensus was that our two clubs are not rivals; that we have other, more local, clubs to goad and bait; that we don't care what each other says about our clubs.

Well, I'm sorry. I disagree. I hate Crystal Palace. I hate their supporters. I hate Simon Jordan. I hate his sanctimonious articles in The Observer each week. I hate him with a vengeance. I hate the fact that his complaints led to the announcer at Charlton home games being sacked. I hate the fact that Charlton were forced (not by Jordan) to play their home games at a ground used by Palace in the 1980's. I hate the fact that Charlton are constantly reminded of this, even though it was a long time ago and our great club has moved on, way past the level that our non-rivals from SE23 or wherever are at. I believe that a large number of other Charlton supporters also feel this way. That is why we sang with relish "we sent the Palace down" to the tune of Amarillo in the last game of last season, and at each match this season too!

I hope that the senior editors etc at The Observer will cut short the drivel that Jordan writes on their esteemed pages, so that the general public can once more get back to the serious issues surrounding football written by a person who is respected, rather than read the rubbish that this Chairman writes.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Enter your email address below to subscribe to Shouting from the Hop!


powered by Bloglet