Monday, August 08, 2005

To run or not two runs?

What a weekend of sport!

The test was superb over the first couple of days, which I watched on TV. I had to miss Saturday's play as I was taking part in the London Triathlon. It's not just the competing that takes up time; you have to (in my case) pick up the hire bike, register at the venue, then arrive back in time for the competition, have a few celebratory beers, then make your way home. I left to pick the bike up at 9.15am and we back home after the triathlon at 9.15pm - a long day!

Our race went according to plan - Dom swam well, starting wide to avoid being bumped; I had a fairly fast smooth ride without problem apart from oncoming cramp toward the end; and Nats ran as best she could on a hangover and two hours kip! Official times are out tomorrow, but hopefully our time of about 92 minutes made it into the top 100.

I'd been able to see some cricket at lunchtime round Dom's house; I turned on the TV and couldn't believe it that Simon Jones was batting! Oh dear! Luckily, I then watched Freddie biff the Aussies around some and we left just before the final wicket went down. Rachel told me later that she'd heard an Aussie score of 48 - 0, but that was the last I heard till we got in that night....170-8! Wow, the boys really got stuck in, and the crowd (as I saw from highlights) were awesome!

Sunday was the day we simply rolled them over, but it didn't happen - on and on they batted. Freddie bowled lots of no-balls; Harmy was too leg side; Giles added control but could always be whipped or slogged away for four. Warney rolled his leg back onto the stumps in a weird way, but still we couldn't get Kasper or Lee out - Jones spilling a tough third man chance. 40, 30, 20, 10, then just one hit away from defeat! The Aussies then tried to get them in singles, but luckily Harmy got a lifter to glove Kasper and Jones tumbled forward to take the catch - uproar! And many sighs of relief I can tell you...

The second closest test match win ever!

Roll on Thursday's third test at Old Trafford...

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Enter your email address below to subscribe to Shouting from the Hop!


powered by Bloglet