Monday, September 05, 2005

Echo from the past...


I haven't written anything about music on this site before, although it formed a huge part of my life way back in the 70's and 80's. That's a very long story though, so this is just a snippet.

My favourite band, even after all this time, are Echo and The Bunnymen. I don't purport to be their biggest fan, and I also think they have made some rubbish records over the years, but, consistently, they are a big influence on other bands, and I still love to listen to my favourite Bunnymen tracks.

Today, The Bunnymen release their new single "Stormy Weather", taken from the soon-to-be released "Siberia" album. I haven't heard it yet, but reports are that it's quite good...

The Bunnies are also trying to get people to vote for their excellent website in the BT Digital Music Awards category 'BT Music Website Of The Year'. Click on the pink button at the top of the Bunnies website (link on the right). Coldplay were last years winners apparently.

I first went to see the Bunnymen back in 1979, at the YMCA, just off Tottenham Court Road in London (many good bands played there at that time), and then at The Lyceum when they played the second 5-band Sunday gig with Psychedlic Furs, A Certain Ratio, U2, and Manicured Noise, the first featuring Stiff Records outfits Nick Lowe, Elvis Costello, Rachel Sweet, Larry Wallis, and someone else who's name escapes me (please put me out of my misery?).

I also saw Ian (above) when he visited the NME offices in Carnaby Street; I was sitting on the reception sofa and he walked in, towering over me, and looking down from under "that" fringe. He handed something in to the receptionist, who at that time was probably either Danny Baker (maybe too late), Gary Crowley (probably too early) or Julia "Spud" Murphy (most likely).

I used to deal with their PR firm quite a bit (a lovely lady called Jane I think), and just before the Crystal Day in Liverpool we worked together to get the Bunny Rabbit logo into NME Classified header style so that it could form part of an advert.

I also got sent copies of the first four Bunnies albums by their ad agency for doing a good job on their artwork one year.

I started to see them again when they first got back together again for reunion gigs about eight years ago (I think), and I've tried to see most of their London appearances since. Most of these have been at The Shepherds Bush Empire, but I did have tickets booked for the last one at the Bloomsbury Theatre (last November) but forgot all about it and failed to pick up my tickets!

Anyway, they are touring again this Autumn (in the US too), promoting Siberia, and I will definitely remember to go to see them on, er, what's the date???, yes, 1st November.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Enter your email address below to subscribe to Shouting from the Hop!


powered by Bloglet